Friday, May 18, 2007

Lloyd Alexander

Lloyd Alexander died today. Before this becomes a blog of recently deceased authors, I just want to say that "The Chronicles of Prydain" are some of my favorite books. Who cannot love an assistant pig keeper and a cranky princess, not to mention an oracular pig.
When I first started working at the library, I felt like an alcoholic in a liqueur store. So many books, so little time. These days, I rarely read a book, but I do listen to them in audio form. I love to listen to books as I knit. I have been hearing some wonderful childrens books.
The series by Cornelia Funke, "Inkheart ,Inkspell are terrific. Also wonderful are the books by Jonathan Stroud, "The Bartimaeus Trilogy".If yoy haven't read any Christopher Moore yet, I encourage you to do so."The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove" is a personal favorite, as is "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal", and "Coyote Blue".
I am also quite fond of Barbara Kingsolver, and would love for her to write more about Turtle and her Mom. "The Bean Trees", "Pigs in Heaven". I wish I had more time to read.

I have met my Tea Swap partner and am having fun trying to figure out what to spoil her with. She sounds like a kindred spirit, I think we have a great deal in common, except she doesn't like Maple or Marzipan. Weird! I haven't mentioned to her my penchant for really stale Peeps . I have to buy them, poke holes in the plastic, and let them get really hard and chewy before I eat them. I am not the only one, people! I have met other people who do this also.

I will be going to The Big City tonight to see the Blond and engage in a little retail therapy. We also plan on having manicures and pedicures. I am having a birthday on Monday, and feel like pampering myself. We old farts have so little to look foward to these days.

No comments: